You need to properly organize your kitchen at least 2-3 times a year. Many times we all have stored so many things in our pantries, drawers, desks, cabinets and just generally in the kitchen that we can’t find when we need them. Plus when we find them, they’re either out of date and need throwing away, or they’re spilled all over the place or we simply find them later than we actually want and by then we have bought a second set of whatever we needed. And the vicious circle goes on.
There are a few things you need to know in order to make the best of your kitchen organization, such as:
- Take out everything from your pantry and check for any expiration dates. If they are old, throw them away. Clean your pantry shelves and put back everything in a way that makes sense to you. For example, things that expire soonest put them up front to see them and use them. Things that belong to the same type (e.g. spices, cans, soups of all sorts) put all in one place.
- When you finished your pantry, do the same thing to your cupboards, shelves, drawers and everything that has things stored inside them.
- Put the various appliances such as the cooking utensils, the pots and the pans next to the stove for easy reach. Put the smaller pots in the larger ones to save yourself some space.
- Check that your plastic containers have tight fitting lids. Temporarily you can use aluminum foil but this should be just for a few containers, not the norm.
- For families with small children avoid keeping dangerous items and chemicals under the sink as they are easily reachable by kids. If they can get to them, they will.
- Use your countertop for preparing your food and not for storing various things on them. Put any kitchen appliances that you no longer need away in cabinets or on shelves.
- If you have lots of spices, keep them alphabetically so you can find them easily. Many people use color coding based on the colors of the caps, but there are only so many colors to remember before you confuse the red paprika with the chicken spice mix.
One of the best ways to organize your kitchen the proper way is by using kitchen cabinet organizers [http://www.kitchencabinetorganizers.org/] and kitchen drawer organizers [http://www.kitchencabinetorganizers.org/kitchen-drawer-organizers/]. Particularly those that are extendable or with 2-3 tiers should not be missing from any self-respecting kitchen.